[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP client continuously resync to server

Charles Elliott elliott.ch at verizon.net
Sat May 18 02:14:55 UTC 2013

Hello:

      I have one server, T, and 4 client computers.  The server is attached
to 11 close-by stratum 2 Internet time servers and operates in broadcast
mode.  It is about 10 PM in Philadelphia, PA, USA, and the Internet is
relatively quiet.  The clients connect to the server in broadcast client
mode.  I performed the following experiment;

The server was shut down.

The clients were set to various time offset shown in the table below.

The server was restarted.

The time for the server and clients to synchronize was approximately noted.

Here are the results:

                                                           Time to

Computer

O/S

NTPD Ver

Time Offset

Sync?

Time to Sync

< 0 Offset

Configuration line

Server 2003

4.2.7p273

Shut Down

Yes

0:01:14

0:18:14

server mmm.nnn.ooo.ppp iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 5

Luke

Win 8

4.2.7p348

+10 min

Yes

3:14

3:14

server 192.168.1.89 iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 4

Win 7

4.2.7p310

-10 min

Yes

3:14

Never -- Internet went wild -- offset = 2.111 at 00:29:41

Win 7

4.2.6p5

-3 min

Yes

3:14

0:20:45

server 192.168.1.89 iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 4

Win 7

4.2.7p348

+3 min

Yes

3:14

8:57

server 192.168.1.89 iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 4

Charles Elliott