[ntp:questions] Need : Meinberg NTP client configuration to immediately correct to server time

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat May 18 08:37:08 UTC 2013

[Excessively long lines and missing paragraph gaps repaired.]
Andy Munoz wrote:
> I am using the Meinberg ntpd 4.2.4 deamon to syncronize a client pc

University of Delaware.

> to another server pc on my network. The client time cannot be trusted.

> I havetried using "server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. iburst minpoll 4 maxpoll 5

Do not do this unless you own the server.  It is considered abusive.
Also note that a low maxpoll will tend to result in the clock drifting
faster when there is a network outage, as ntpd will not be able to get
as accurate  measurement of the crystal frequency error.

> to be more agressive with getting the client to poll but it symply
+ resyncs without forcing a time jump and only over a long period of time
+ do I see the client correct itself to the Server's time.

By default, tinker step is set to 128ms.  Most people actually want to
increase it, rather than reduce it.