[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP client continuously resync to server

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat May 18 08:29:00 UTC 2013

[Excessively long lines repaired]
renoandy775 at gmail.com wrote:
> I am using the Meinberg ntpd 4.2.4 deamon to syncronize a client pc

No.  You are using the University of Delaware ntpd daemon, aka the
reference implementation.  All that Meinberg do to it is package it with
a Windows installer.

+ to another server pc on my network. The client time cannot be trusted.
+
> The problem I am having is that if the client time drifts out too far
+ as a result of a network loss, it does not appear to resync and
+ correct its clock to conform to the server's true time.

This can happen as a result of misuse of the local clock driver.  This
should never be used on a leaf node.  Otherwise, it will only happen if
the time is out by more than 10 minutes.  If your PC drifts by more than
this in less than a few years, it is broken.

Also, you should note that ntpd will, by default, not step the time
unless it appears to be out for more than 128ms, and that that error has
persisted for more than 15(?) minutes plus several poll cycles.  People
often increase this, because they don't like steps, although increasing
it too much will put ntpd into a legacy mode on modern systems.

These options are set using the tinker command, which is in the HTML
documentation that I hope that Meinberg included in their install package.

> Does anyone know how to configure this application to have the client
+ always bust and update its clock to lock onto the NTP server ?

bust????