[ntp:questions] Meinberg NTP client continuously resync to server

Roger invalid at invalid.invalid
Sat May 18 08:58:40 UTC 2013

On Fri, 17 May 2013 15:42:39 -0700 (PDT), renoandy775 at gmail.com
wrote:

> The problem I am having is that if the client time drifts out
> too far as a result of a network loss, it does not appear to
> resync and correct its clock to conform to the server's true
> time.

Unfortunately, there is so much that you haven't said that
no-one can give you a definitive answer.

How long might "network loss" be; an hour, a day, a week? My
ADSL went down for about 45 minutes yesterday without causing
NTP any problem. I'm using Meinberg's "ntpq 4.2.4p6 at vegas-v2-o".

You say "does not appear to resync". What does that mean? I
would use NTPQ to check and I would see what was happening.

If the computer's time is drifting more than NTP can cope with
after a short outage, say less than a day, then I agree with the
poster who wrote "your PC probably counts as broken." You should
certainly try to find out why it is drifting so much so quickly.

You could post your NTP configuration file. There may be
something inappropriate in there.

Daft idea (I hope). Is the server synced to external sources or
free running? It may be that the server you are trying to sync
to is "running wild"; that would not be sensible.
--
Roger