[ntp:questions] Tighter regulation?

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Mon May 20 20:13:40 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-20, Mischanko, Edward T <Edward.Mischanko at arcelormittal.com> wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> Does anyone know what setting can be changed that will cause
> tighter regulation of the offset.  My goal is to get clk_wander to
> equal as close to zero as possible more often.  I would also like
> to see the frequency adjusted with every change in offset data;
> it currently does not appear to do that; it seems to be random.

you need to read Mill's book.
a) ntpd uses only that meas of the last 8 that has smallest delay.-- ie
about 7 of every 8 meas are thewn away.That increases the time between
effective meas by a factor of about 8,
This is to handle the network jitter problem, and not knowing f the deay
is inbound or outbound. To get around thic decrease the poll interval.
(eg 10 to 7).
b) To bensure stability only  a small fraction of the offset is sed to
alter the discipation.