[ntp:questions] Offset is always increasing

Riccardo Castellani ric.castellani at alice.it
Thu May 23 10:04:44 UTC 2013

You thought right, xntpd says "synchronisation lost" every 20 minutes, drift
file is about 855, xntpd daemon is running from about 1 year.
In these days I
made several days and I restarted daemon and I waited a day to analyze offset.

When I says "stable" I'm refering to value into drift file because I see always
the same value, that is about 855.

Do you suggest me to measure specific drift
of my hardware clock by script as documented into ntp.org, Known Hardware
Issues, 9.1.6 (Mac Mini and other machines having poor TICK settings) ?
I test
identical server (which has same problems) I delete the drift file and I
restart daemon, after 2 hours :

ntpq -pn

     remote           refid      st
t when poll reach   delay   offset    disp

*10.2.3.5    193.204.114.233  2 u    9   64  377     0.61   -0.350    0.11

127.127.1.1     127.127.1.1     10 l    8   64  377     0.00    0.000   10.01

I'm worried because after many months I wouldn't like to find the same
behaviour.
I have no other software to discipline time.

Riccardo Castellani
wrote:
> [...]
800 and it keeps

> It keeps this value means it's stable for many months,
it's
doesnt change

minutes. How can it

(If ntpd weren't correcting it, but only measuring it, I would suspect

that you had some other time discipline software that was doing a slow

adjustment to the clock and which thought the time was 700 to 800ms out.)