[ntp:questions] Tighter regulation?

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sun May 26 08:51:33 UTC 2013

Mischanko, Edward T wrote:

> I tried reducing the Allan Intercept to 7 and the result was wild swings in
>  frequency ppm.  I don't know why?  Is the FLL broken?  Has anyone else
>  observed this behavior?

If you are not suffering from wild swings in frequency, you should not
be trying to reduce the measured offsets.  There are basically two
causes of high offsets, errors in you own frequency and errors in
measurement of the time.  The latter you should be trying to get ntpd to
ignore, and only take the long term average of the time measurement.