[ntp:questions] time to sync vs ptp?

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Fri May 31 14:19:43 UTC 2013

On Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:35:52 PM UTC-5, unruh wrote:
> Yes, and this still does not address the problem of the drift rate. ntpd
> has to run a while to figure out what the right drift rate is.
> Unfortunately it does so by a Markovian (no memory) feedback, which is
> slow and suffers from exactly the kind of behaviour you see. If you want
> something faster ( and more accurate) run chrony instead. (It keeps a
> memory and thus lcan figure out where it wants to be in terms of offset
> and drift far faster than can ntpd)

OK.  But at some point, when the drift file is established, it has a memory of sorts, right?

> You are not going to change anyone's mind with "I am ignorant, and have
> no idea what I am talking about, but could you not change ntpd in the
> following way." You are far better off finding a program that behaves
> the way you want, and use that.

I didn't mean to suggest that NTP should be changed; I apologize if it came out that way.  I was asking if there were existing tools or configuration options that might help me make better use of this tool.  I anticipated responses along the lines of "check out this document which explains the behavior you are seeing" or "take a look at config option xyz which might help".

Thanks again,
Matt