[ntp:questions] Raspberry Pi stratum-1 NTP server without soldering....

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Nov 1 19:49:15 UTC 2013

On 01/11/2013 14:15, Rob wrote:
[]
> Well, if you are going to serve time via WiFi, like the original article,
> it essentially does not matter.

Wi-Fi simply happened to be how that particular card was connected.
Here I have two Raspberry Pi cards which are connected directly, and
three connected by Wi-Fi, all running GPS/PPS stratum-1 NTP servers.
How the user chooses to connect in will depend on their own needs and
capabilities.

I would certainly agree that a direct connection is better than Wi-Fi,
if that is possible, but in some of the applications the unit is not
connected to any other network devices, and the purpose is simply to
provide accurate time to the Raspberry pi itself - e.g. in high-altitude
ballooning:

   http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23840596

--
Cheers,