[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 19:00:18 UTC 2013

> >      server 127.127.1.0
>
> >      fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10
>

> Remove the above.  Although it seems to be ignoring them at the moment,
> they are nearly always wrong, and are incompatible with tos orphan.

Thanks. I was suggested those parameters on another forum. The reason was that if the NTPs are not reachable it locks on itself.

> >      tos orphan 4
>

> Caution 4 is rather low, but that is not relevant here as you are not in
> orphan mode.

I can change to something higher to be on the safe side.

> It looks like the software clock is outside the usable range.  What's
> more worrying, if it sometimes works, is that it varies from time to
> time enough to put it just inside the useful range.

Ok, then I need to ask you what exactly "frequency error" means. I've been looking everywhere and still I fail to completely understand its meaning.

It's a Supermicro Server board, is it possible it's so unreliable??

> The first bit you can deal with by using the kernel time control utility
> (names vary) to correct the frequency in steps of 100 ppm.  However, if
> the frequency is not stable, that will not give you good timekeeping.

Could you point me somewhere about it? I've never heard of it. What is it?

> > Could someone please help? I can add a forth server if needed, I also understand that it would be recommended to use the iburst parameter.
>
> Adding a Scottish server, or even a fourth one from elsewhere won't help
> as you already have three servers that agree with each other.

eheh, I beg your pardon, I'm Italian, I mispelled it! :)

> As it should have stepped before the error reached 7 seconds, it is also
> possible that they disabled stepping.  If the drift file value is way
> out, that might cause some problems in getting lock.  It will also tend
> to prevent use of the higher quality kernel time discipline.

How can I verify if the stepping has been disabled or not?
ntp.drift at the moment is -500.000

Thanks for your help!
Antonio