[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat Nov 2 21:19:51 UTC 2013

On 02/11/13 19:00, antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks. I was suggested those parameters on another forum. The reason was that if the NTPs are not reachable it locks on itself.

ntpd never locks onto this.  There is no point, as the different between
it and ntpd's time is always exactly zero.  What this option does is
make downstream systems trust time from this machine, for ever, whereas
they would normally stop trusting it if it got too stale.

That's OK if something other than ntpd is controlling it, but extremely
questionable when the clock is free running.