[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Sat Nov 2 22:10:17 UTC 2013

[Please do not write whole paragraphs on one line.  Word wrapping is
error recovery, not a standard feature, of internet mail and news,
except if you use format-flowed (which is still pre-wrapped over the wire.]

On 02/11/13 21:43, antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com wrote:

> Then the DNS service is not running and I cannot start it. You'll have to trust me on that, my options are limited on this occasion.

No DNS service needs to be running.  Just use a forwarding server
elsewhere on the site, or at the ISP.  I can't imagine an ISP that
doesn't run one, and most ADSL routers run them and announce them over DHCP.

> And this is caused by a bad system clock? Is there a chance that there is some other process running in background which is tweaking the clock which I'm not aware of?

This is not likely on Linux systems.  Unfortunately you seem to have
disabled stepping, which makes the characteristic stepping pattern of a
conflicting timing source difficult to see.