[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 22:35:55 UTC 2013

> You mentioned previously that you are using a read only
>
> partition in which case I cannot see how you can run ntpd.
>

> Can you explain the partition layout?
>

> What operating system exactly?

Good questions, as you may have realised I'm not a Linux person. The server has a read only partition for configurations. When the server is booted up it creates some configuration files - including the ntp.conf - from some scripts which are saved on the RO partition. This scripts get the IP address of the NTP server from a configuration file created when the server is installed and creates a ntp.conf file.

I remounted the RO partition as RW, amended the script so that the ntp.conf is as you saw, saved it and remounted the partition as RO.
This is because I could amend the ntp.conf manually - it is on a RW partition - but it would be overwritten when the server is rebooted.

drift file is on a RW partition.

I do not know the partitions layout to be honest, the SO is Debian 5.0.7.

Thanks,
Antonio