[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 22:40:19 UTC 2013

On Saturday, 2 November 2013 22:10:17 UTC, David Woolley  wrote:
> [Please do not write whole paragraphs on one line.  Word wrapping is
>
> error recovery, not a standard feature, of internet mail and news,
>
> except if you use format-flowed (which is still pre-wrapped over the wire.]

My apologies David, I'm using google groups. If it's not formatting the text properly I'll switch to a proper newsreader.

> No DNS service needs to be running.  Just use a forwarding server
>
> elsewhere on the site, or at the ISP.  I can't imagine an ISP that
>
> doesn't run one, and most ADSL routers run them and announce them over DHCP.

I could try to amend the network to include a DNS but I'd rather not to. I know it sounds nonsense to you but this is a multimedia server used on a critical setup. I'd rather not touch anything that does not need to be touched to avoid problems with the media files. Network is part of a crucial and quite delicate secure data transfer and if the manufacturer decided not to include the DNS during network configuration there may be a reason.

> > And this is caused by a bad system clock? Is there a chance that there is some other process running in background which is tweaking the clock which I'm not aware of?
>

> This is not likely on Linux systems.  Unfortunately you seem to have
>
> disabled stepping, which makes the characteristic stepping pattern of a
>
> conflicting timing source difficult to see.

And how can I enable it again? I thought NTP was stepping over 128ms by default, where can I disable the stepping?

Thanks
Antonio