[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

David Lord snews at lordynet.org
Sun Nov 3 00:01:54 UTC 2013

antonio.marcheselli at gmail.com wrote:
>> You mentioned previously that you are using a read only
>>
>> partition in which case I cannot see how you can run ntpd.
>>

>> Can you explain the partition layout?
>>

>> What operating system exactly?
>
> Good questions, as you may have realised I'm not a Linux person. The server has a read only partition for configurations. When the server is booted up it creates some configuration files - including the ntp.conf - from some scripts which are saved on the RO partition. This scripts get the IP address of the NTP server from a configuration file created when the server is installed and creates a ntp.conf file.
>
> I remounted the RO partition as RW, amended the script so that the ntp.conf is as you saw, saved it and remounted the partition as RO.
> This is because I could amend the ntp.conf manually - it is on a RW partition - but it would be overwritten when the server is rebooted.

My guess is you're not meant to do it that way but then I'm
no expert at configuring debian.

Are you completely unable to resolve ip address to hostname

eg.

     $ host 130.88.200.4
     4.200.88.130.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer dir.mcc.ac.uk.

Somewhere in your config you should have set nameservers or
resolv.conf.

eg.
     $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
     nameserver 192.168.59.64

You usually get addresses for your nameserver(s) from your internet
provider or it manager if your with a large organisation.

You can then replace the fixed server ip addresses in ntp.conf
with server 0.uk.pool.ntp.org .. 3.uk.pool.ntp.org.

You also probably need to stop ntpd if it's not synced with
a low offset of a few ms, delete the driftfile, run ntpdate
then restart ntpd.