[ntp:questions] NTP not syncing

Antonio Marcheselli puppa at me.la
Mon Nov 4 16:52:49 UTC 2013

>> Today drift is 60 and offsets are around 8. Looks good.
>
> You know what's good?
>
> from: ntp3.lordynet.org NetBSD-6.1, i386, ntpd 4.2.6p5:
> $ cat /var/db/ntp/ntpd.drift
> -9.722
>
> from ntpq -crv
> offset=-0.061
>
> Your ntpd 4.2.4 is from 2008 through 2009 and offsets with
> that version might not have been much worse than from 4.2.6p5
> but correction of drift above 50 ppm was not good or even
> impossible. Ntpd 4.2.6p5 also converges to a reasonable low
> offset much faster after ntpd is restarted. I have an idea
> that ntpd 4.2.8 is very near to release.

That's great to know, thanks.
I will speak with the manufacturer and see if a newer version can be
adopted. It's good to know that it may well be a limitation of the NTP
version being used.

Today I've been told that on newer machines I can enable the HPET (high
precision event time) in the BIOS if available and that should give a
better clock to begin with.

> Your problem may not be with the setup of ntpd and you really
> need to know what cpu optimisations, if any, are enabled. Some
> optimisations for energy consumption are incompatible with
> running an ntpd service. I can't help you with bios settings
> or diagnostics for your motherboard settings. You might find
> some information in dmesg but again that requires familiarity
> with your hardware.

I will check the CPU optimisation as soon as I'm in front of one of
these servers.

Thanks for your help David

Antonio