[ntp:questions] NTP clients

Thu Nov 7 21:56:52 UTC 2013

Anonymous wrote:
>>> How? Could you point me out on relevant FAQ?
>>
>> I find manycast has much more value.
>>
>> # e.g. ntp.conf for ALL your (Clients and/or Servers)
>>  keys "/etc/ntp.keys" # e.g. contains: 123 M LAN_MD5_KEY , 321 M Corp_MD5_KEY , ...
>>  trustedkey 123 321
>>  tos cohort 1 orphan 10
>>  restrict source nomodify
>>  manycastserver  224.0.1.1
>>  manycastclient  224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
>>  multicastclient 224.0.1.1 key 123 preempt
>>  broadcastclient
>> pool pool.ntp.org preempt # Won't hurt anything if the internet can't
>> be reached
>
> I have only "broadcast 224.0.1.1" in my config. With this string he bind
> on internal network interface instead of external one. Is it ok?

If your Clients don't have broadcastclient,
 (and in your case I think multicastclient 224.0.1.1)
 they aren't going to use messages from a broadcast server.

Without using cryptographic authentication,
 broadcast server messages don't get used,
 unless you set a command line flag to accept unauthenticated messages.

  will be added to the BlackLists.