[ntp:questions] Pool returns IPv6 address to IPv4 query

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Mon Nov 18 19:44:44 UTC 2013

On 11/18/2013 11:18, Majdi S. Abbas wrote:

> 	The fact that it's even trying means you didn't start ntpd with
> -4, and the host has at least one IPv6 interface (this might be as
> simple as v6 enabled on the loopback.)
>
> 	So, either ensure that v6 is fully disabled on the host, or add
> -4 to your ntpd startup parameters.

lo0 did indeed have a v6 address configured (hadn't noticed) though my
eth0 does not.  I would not have expected ntpd to use v6 if any one
interface did not have it.  Up until this point it never returned a v6
address on lookup so that's probably why I never noticed that v6 had
been enabled again (recent upgrade of OS).  I've disabled all v6 now and
added -4 for good measure.