[ntp:questions] how did ntp service set the maxallowphaseoffset

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Mon Nov 18 22:23:35 UTC 2013

On 18/11/13 08:30, xiaoniao112233 at gmail.com wrote:
> hello :
>     I had recently start a work about ntp service ,my friends and me use windows and linux to sync time in ntp.we could use w32time service to sync linux in ntp.In windows we could I found that in the registry:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Config\ MaxAllowedPhaseOffset may be could set the offset time between the local time and the server that they will be synchronize. If out of range of MaxAllowedPhaseOffset in seconds ,they synchronize,otherwise not.
> But I have a question that Is there a paremeter in ntp service that control the offset like in registry above in windows.

That sounds like tinker panic, which is documented in the miscopt.html
file, and defaults to 1000s.  If the offset exceeds that value, ntpd
will shut down.

All tinker options may are used at your own risk.  They set things that
should not normally need setting.

Note that there is a command line option to ignore this setting for for
the first step after startup.