[ntp:questions] how did ntp service set the maxallowphaseoffset

Tue Nov 19 08:58:22 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-19 00:57, David Woolley wrote:
> On 19/11/13 02:45, Brian Inglis wrote:
>
>> W32tm is an SNTP service intended to synchronize time on
>> workstations in a domain to a domain controller at intervals.
>
> w32time WAS such a service, and possibly still is out of the box.
> However, give or take implementation errors, it can be configured
> to act as an NTP V3 service.

With about the same accuracy as a drift compensation TSR and the
NIST ACTS dial up service used from Windows 3 & 95 on a dial up link!
A number of the parameters have a resolution of seconds!
Given the NTP and w32tm rate control settings, we know w32tm will be
unable to slew and have to step adjust the offsets on some systems,
not just those with "broken" hardware clocks.
--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis