[ntp:questions] Pool returns IPv6 address to IPv4 query

Danny Mayer mayer at ntp.org
Tue Nov 19 16:01:36 UTC 2013

That must have been a short discussion. getaddrinfo() has nothing to do
with the IP stack. getaddrinfo()'s job is to get information from the
nameservers you specify in resolv.conf or wherever else the OS has that
information. Its job is NOT to make decisions about what it should ask
for. That's the programmer's job when setting up the API call as to what
addresses to ask for.

Would you like dig, nslookup, host, etc. to not give you all the
information when you are analyzing a problem? (the BIND versions use
their own internal versions of getaddrinfo, I am using these as an example).

Applications and Servers can make their own decisions about what data to
fetch and use, not getaddrinfo's.

Danny