[ntp:questions] how did ntp service set the maxallowphaseoffset

David Woolley david at ex.djwhome.demon.invalid
Fri Nov 22 10:50:29 UTC 2013

On 22/11/13 10:27, David Woolley wrote:

> It is possible that what you really want is "tos maxdistance", but I am
> guessing what you are really trying to do.

However, according to
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263%28v=ws.10%29.aspx,
w32time's MaxAllowedPhaseOffset registry key corresponds to ntpd's
"tinker step" setting, except that their minimum value (1 second) is
larger than both the default (0.128 seconds) for ntpd and the value
(0.500 seconds) that forces ntpd into a degraded mode.

In that degraded mode, rather than ntpd supplying the kernel with
estimated errors, and letting the kernel compute small corrections,
every clock tick, ntpd does all the maths and just applies a correction,
of +/- 500ppm, each second.

w32time uses 1 second on servers and 500 seconds on clients, where
server and client refer to the Windows roles, not the ntpd ones.

In most cases, using tinker step is treating symptoms, and you need to
treat the cause.  All use of tinker should be seen as a last resort.