[ntp:questions] NTPD silently not tracking

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Sun Sep 1 20:25:59 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-01, Maarten Wiltink <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote:
> "unruh" <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote in message
> news:n5lUt.340835$QT4.176258 at fx22.iad...
>> On 2013-08-31, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
>>   <Null at BlackList.Anitech-Systems.invalid> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>  perhaps it has already been fixed in a more recent version.
>>
>> Sorry, but I have always found this to be a complete copout. You can
>> keep the complainer busy till doomsday trying out different version and
>> different configs. Do you know that others have had this person's
>> problem? Do you know thatthe latest version fixes them? Otherwise you
>> are simply sending him on a fishing expidition.
>
> As a developer (not NTP) myself, I don't react well to people
> complaining about bugs I've already solved, just not in the version
> they have. So the first reply is always going to be 'upgrade, and see
> if it goes away.' Especially with things like NTP, if it goes away, the
> problem is solved.

Yes, at least that will probably make the complainant go away even if
the bug is still there.
IF you know you fixed that bug in the new version, then by allmeans tell
the complainant to reinstall. But if you do not know that that bug is
fixed, then this is a copout.

> Even if you're not sure, you try this first. Plain common sense, and
> common courtesy. No fishing expedition, just a one-time upgrade and if
> the problem stays we go to work.

No, upgrading can require work, and can be non-trivial especially for
newbies.
And accidentally fixing a bug this severe, has a low probability.