[ntp:questions] ISP bloked port 123

Bert Gøtterup Petersen BUP at bang-olufsen.dk
Wed Sep 18 07:55:11 UTC 2013

David,

I understand that a Raspberry-Pi would do the trick, and I am sure that would work  for everyone reading this.
However, to our customers and installers this would be rather invasive. They are buying/installing a TV not an IT system..

Our accuracy requirement are not impressive, merely to allow the product to talk to our cloud service (UTC +-5min).
Our assumption is that some ISP block the port to prevent their customers from running a public NTP server.

At the moment our best bet seem to be using 'ntpdate' on a different port at regular intervals. From a SW perspective, this is not nice nor elegant, but it would do the trick...

Cheers
Bert