[ntp:questions] Automatic time synchronization of local hw clock.

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Mon Apr 14 11:08:35 UTC 2014

On 14/04/2014 10:33, David Woolley wrote:
[]
> This is something that is done by the operating system (e.g. every 11
> minutes in Linux, or by cron jobs in some other systems), not by ntpd.
> Some people object to this behaviour in Linux because it prevents the
> effective use of hwtime to correct RTC frequency.
>
> As such, the identity of the OS is important in answering the question.

I must admit I would like to see NTP doing this in Windows more often
than it does.  At the moment, as I understand it, the RTC is only
updated by NTP on a Windows Shutdown event, not when NTP is restarted.
and not on a regular basis such as every 10 minutes.  Obviously, the RTC
should only be updated if NTP is confident that it's at the correct
time....!
--
Cheers,
David