[ntp:questions] Automatic time synchronization of local hw clock.

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Mon Apr 14 17:23:26 UTC 2014

On 2014-04-13, Mimiko <vbvbrj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm running a ntpd service on a local server for time synchronization of
> all servers and workstations. Ntpd works fine, synchronizing linux and
> windows. The problem is that hw clock of the time server is not
> synchronized periodically and it is not in sync. So in case of server
> restart, ntpd sees a big time difference and stops.

ntpd resyncs the hardware clock every 11 min, or is supposed to.
(Actually it is the kernel that is supposed to do that, ntpd just allows
the sync bit to be set by the kernel which allows the kernel to do that.
)
chrony unsets that bit, but measures the rate error and offset error of
the hardware clock and uses that on next startup to get a better
estimate of the true time.