[ntp:questions] ntp server with two default routes misbehaving

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Mon Apr 21 13:58:00 UTC 2014

> I wonder why the change was made in the first place.  Did it improve
> things for some users? It seems wrong to introduce something that
> causes problems for some use cases unless it benefits others.

Maybe sift through the changelog to see if anything stands out? Or search the bug tracker? Harlan could probably answer your
question on the code change.

I think someone else's suggestion to use the "listen-on" + wild directive might be another good alternative, but I don't know
exactly when those were implemented. It might work, or it might end up with the same issue as before.

https://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/ListenOn

> I wonder if it would cause problems for DHCP users, where the
> ISP-allocated IP changes occasionally.  It probably wouldn't change
> often enough to cause a big problem, but it would cause NTP to go
> unsynchronised from time to time.

Depends... My router's external IP might change every now and then, but that is upstream from my NTP server. On my LAN (with private
IPs) it has a fixed IP and gateway so NTP is none the wiser...

Have you tried with any of the 4.2.7 development builds? If you use the most current (4.2.7p440) it's probably pretty stable. Most
of the changes lately seem to do with documentation.