[ntp:questions] Can NTP sync within 1ms

Joe Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Sat Apr 26 00:17:53 UTC 2014

In article
<8188BA2B01FB534A99C03D79C62CE1D80982FB4C at UUSNWE3A.global.utcmail.com>,
Montgomery, Peter         BIS <Peter.Montgomery at fs.utc.com> wrote:

> I am new to NTP. But I have a quick question that I need to answer soon.
>
> I would like to know whether NTP can sync between a client and a server
> within 1ms if the client and server are Linux applications on a simple local
> network ( less than 10 nodes).

Not reliably, for a million reasons.  A better rule is 10 milliseconds,
and even that requires work and care.

The most reliable approach is an IRIG network.

But you need to describe your problem and constraints before people can
give better answers.

Joe Gwinn