[ntp:questions] Can NTP sync within 1ms

Jochen Bern Jochen.Bern at LINworks.de
Sun Apr 27 17:55:49 UTC 2014

[Resend to list, rather than non-working(?) sender e-mail address]

On -10.01.-28163 20:59, Rob wrote:
> We are setting up a co-channel diversity network.  That means multiple
> FM transmitters that are transmitting the same signal on the same
> frequency on different sites, where the receive areas partly overlap.
>
> The listeners should enjoy a smooth reception while driving around.
> So of course there should be no time lag between the modulation signals
> of the different transmitters.  Experts in the field tell us we should
> be within 12us.

I'm afraid I don't get it yet. You're trying to sync waveforms on the HF
side (~100 MHz?) instead of switching between two transmitters on the AF
side (couple kHz, with that much more leeway for the sync), a la
perfectly normal car radio with RDS AF and dual tuners, because ... ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Data_System#Content_and_implementation

Anyway - if you'ld like to talk to people who apparently have experience
with syncing the HF side, at least to *some* degree, you might want to
contact the companies operating the (toll) highways in France. They also
operate radio stations with traffic announcements, and it's just *one*
frequency (107.7 MHz) all across the country (since before the time they
adopted RDS at all). I never noticed any transmitter hand-over within
any single operator's coverage (while handover from one to another, with
a completely different radio programme, is of course rather messy).

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/FM-107-7-radio.htm

Regards,
								J. Bern
--
*NEU* - NEC IT-Infrastruktur-Produkte im <http://www.linworks-shop.de/>:
Server--Storage--Virtualisierung--Management SW--Passion for Performance
Jochen Bern, Systemingenieur --- LINworks GmbH <http://www.LINworks.de/>
Postfach 100121, 64201 Darmstadt | Robert-Koch-Str. 9, 64331 Weiterstadt
PGP (1024D/4096g) FP = D18B 41B1 16C0 11BA 7F8C DCF7 E1D5 FAF4 444E 1C27
Tel. +49 6151 9067-231, Zentr. -0, Fax -299 - Amtsg. Darmstadt HRB 85202
Unternehmenssitz Weiterstadt, Geschäftsführer Metin Dogan, Oliver Michel