[ntp:questions] Can NTP sync within 1ms

Rob nomail at example.com
Mon Apr 28 17:15:04 UTC 2014

William Unruh <unruh at invalid.ca> wrote:
>> All in all it is funny to read all the "that cannot be done"-like comments
>> by several persons on a ntp newsgroup while systems like this have been in
>> use since the seventies, and in fact have already been build by amateurs
>> and are in operation today.  So I prefer to go by the experience of
>> the people who built those networks, rather than the armchair experts.
>
> Not, "it cannnot be done", but "it is silly to try". I simply have a
> really really hard time figuring out why you want to do that.

You apparently are not familiar with the radio amateur hobby.

Most people have a hard time figuring out why you would want to construct
a repeater to talk to someone else driving around in a car, when you
could simply dial his number on the mobile phone.

> If it really is 12us I would be really interested in knowing why. I
> might even learn something.

I already said that I was suprised about this as well, but I have heard
it from two different persons who had not been working together and
it was explicitly asked if if would not be 12ms instead of 12us.