[ntp:questions] Number of Stratum 1 & Stratum 2 Peers

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Tue Dec 9 07:55:22 UTC 2014

On 08/12/2014 21:22, E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the
BlackLists wrote:
[]
> I would have thought the WAN's additional delay,
>   and increased jitter (as compared to the LAN)
>   would have mattered more in the cluster algorithm,
>   causing the internet servers to be tagged as outliers,
>   if they were not close enough to make it into the cluster.
>
>    Was the dispersion from the LAN servers higher than the
>     internet servers, due to auto increasing poll times?

I would have thought that as well, but before I ran my own stratum-1
servers I was often surprised at the choices made by NTP - distant
servers with more jitter being preferred over local ones.  Almost as if
the value of jitter/offset was being minimised.  But this was some years
back....

--
Cheers,
David