[ntp:questions] NTP & PPS, part 2 ;)

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Fri Dec 12 18:04:51 UTC 2014

On 2014-12-12, Rob <nomail at example.com> wrote:
> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
>> Rob writes:

>>> The source of the includefile does absolutely nothing in the ways of
>>> solving that problem!
>>
>> If the file isn't there we don't go looking for the API that isn't
>> there, either.
>>
>> Or am I missing something?
>
> The file is only used at build time.  It tells absolutely nothing
> about the kernel configuration, certainly not in the system the binary
> is running on.

And since at build time, one has things called "configure" which CAN run
tests on the build system, one could easily enable or disable it then.
But since as we all know  ntpd tends to built on one system and used on
myriads of other systems, the code should run tests when running, not
when compiling, to see if the api actually works. That is the way all
other "optional" stuff in all other packages works. After all, if there
is no nmea gps attached to the computer, trying to use the nmea driver
will not work.
Anyway, this discussion has demonstrated a lot of pissing, as I
mentioned.