[ntp:questions] London Metro newspaper misrepresent NTP amplification attack.

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Wed Feb 12 22:28:46 UTC 2014

Terje Mathisen <terje.mathisen at tmsw.no> wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
> > In this article, which also appeared in the paper version this
> > morning, they suggest that normal NTP time requests result in a much
> > larger response than the request.
> >
> > http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/11/the-start-of-ugly-things-to-come-hackers-flood-european-servers-in-biggest-computer-attack-of-its-kind-4300395/
> >

> There was no comment section for that article and no documented way to
> reach the author so I gave up on sending in a correction. :-(

They have one of those annoying "infinite scroll" things, but if you
zip all the way to the bottom, it might "stick" and there will be a
Contact Us link pointing at
http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/11/useful-numbers-2-4164977/ which has a
fair number of email addresses.  I suspect that one or more of them
would be apropos.

rick jones
--
I don't interest myself in "why." I think more often in terms of
"when," sometimes "where;" always "how much."  - Joubert