[ntp:questions] Remote access to http based service

Sat Feb 15 06:02:52 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-14 18:37, jtrick77 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for some way to poll a synced stratum 2 NTP server overan http
> connection every hour or so to obtain the current time in milliseconds.
> Is anyone aware of someone offering this service?
> I know that network latency will offset the accuracy of the resulting value
> and that setting up an actual NTP client would be much more ideal,but if I can
> find someone providing an http interface it would be sufficient for my purposes.
> Thanks in advance!

For ms accuracy you would have to use some S/NTP client to talk to some NTP server.
Suitable NTP clients could be ntpdate, sntp, msntp, openntpd, native Mac and Windows
time services, and similar applications for those other platforms.
Search your local free software repository for time sync apps or see:
http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/softwarelist.cfm

Web pages, typical Java and Javascript apps, and earlier time protocols such as
Daytime (RFC 867) and Time (RFC 868), typically only provide you time to the
second as that is about as accurate as you can get over those channels.
See http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/its.cfm for more details.

Look for an rdate client to use the Time protocol.

You can get Daytime to the second by opening any TCP or UDP connection
to port 13 on those servers supporting it as in:

$ telnet -EK east-pool.ustiming.org 13

Trying 216.171.120.36...
Connected to east-pool.ustiming.org.
Escape character is 'off'.

56703 14-02-15 05:09:52 00 0 0 889.2 UTC(NIST) *
Connection closed by foreign host.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis