[ntp:questions] Cross-compiling NTP for the Raspberry Pi

David Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Sun Feb 16 12:30:41 UTC 2014

I have the script at the end of this note which successfully compiles a
32-bit Linux kernel for the Raspberry Pi when run on a 64-bit Debian run
in a virtual machine under Windows.  So far, so good.  What I would now
like to do is to use the same tools to cross compile NTP for the
Raspberry pi (because it takes an hour on the RPi itself).  I have been
trying to follow the guide here:

   http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Dev/Cross-compilingNTP

bit I fail even at the first command:

   config.guess

which isn't recognised.  I would be the first to acknowledge that I'm
working way outside my comfort zone, but something tells me that if I
can get a kernel to compile, NTP should be possible, and perhaps easier!

From: http://www.satsignal.eu/raspberry-pi/kernel-cross-compile.html
#!/bin/bash

KERNEL_SRC=/home/david/kernel/linux-rpi-3.10.y
export KERNEL_SRC

CCPREFIX=/home/david/kernel/tools/arm-bcm2708/arm-bcm2708hardfp-linux-gnueabi/bin/arm-bcm2708hardfp-linux-gnueabi-
export CCPREFIX

PLATFORM=bcmrpi
export PLATFORM

cd $KERNEL_SRC
make mrproper
# cp /home/david/kernel/raspi.config .config
ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX} make ${PLATFORM}_defconfig
# make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX} oldconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE={$CCPREFIX} menuconfig
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX} -j3
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX} modules -j3

MODULES_TEMP=~/modules
export MODULES_TEMP
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CCPREFIX} INSTALL_MOD_PATH=${MODULES_TEMP}
modules_install

Thanks
--
David