[ntp:questions] Cross-compiling NTP for the Raspberry Pi

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Feb 18 19:46:14 UTC 2014

Hi--

On Feb 18, 2014, at 1:25 AM, David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> On 17/02/2014 21:03, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> []
>> Sincerely appreciated.  And please consider just making notes and
>> incremental changes on our wiki.  If you'd like to see a %COMMENT{}% box
>> in there to make this easier for notes just add it (or I can).  We can
>> easily clean it up later, or as we go, and that way we're not diverting
>> eyeballs.

> Yes, if you add that it might be helpful.  In the meanwhile, executing:
>
> ../configure --host=armv6l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf --build=x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> I end up with this message:
>
> checking if pthread_create() works... yes
> checking if select yields when using pthreads... cross
> configure: error: crossing compiling: use --with-yielding_select=yes|no|manual
>
> and I'm stuck at that point.  Do I need something extra on the ../configure command line?

Yes, you need to add --with-yielding_select=yes.
(Or no, depending on what select() does on the target platform.)

./configure normally runs a set of tests to figure all of this stuff out, but those tests
need to run on the target and not on the build platform when cross-compiling.  If you
don't already know the right answers, run ./configure on the target platform and use
those results when cross-compiling from a faster platform.

Regards,
--
-Chuck