[ntp:questions] Atom PPS with parallel port

Chris Adams cma at cmadams.net
Sun Feb 23 21:12:55 UTC 2014

Once upon a time, Rob  <nomail at example.com> said:
>Did you compile your own kernel or is it all done using standard
>distribution kernel and tools?

I am running mine on Fedora 20, which includes all the necessary bits.
The pps_parport module is included in the regular kernel RPMs.

>I further studied the matter and found that on the CentOS 6.5 system
>where I first checked the kernel is at 2.6.32 and the pps_parport module
>is not yet included.

When I ran this on a CentOS system, I didn't use the in-kernel PPS.  I
used the shmpps daemon from EPEL instead (user-space daemon, so not
quite as accurate).

>Probably a suitable kernel will be in CentOS 7.x

Looking at the RHEL 7 beta, it does include the pps_parport module.
However, I expect it will be another few months before RHEL 7.0 is
released, and then a month or two after that for CentOS 7.0.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at cmadams.net>