[ntp:questions] ACTS Modem mode not working in -dev ?

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Mon Feb 24 08:05:24 UTC 2014

Brandon Applegate writes:
> In 4.2.6p5 this worked exactly as advertised...
>
> I've been running in mode 1 (backup) for quite some time, and it's been
> working fine.  That is to say that a call gets made once at startup, but
> by the time the other sources become reachable - no subsequent calls are
> made.  Calls should only been made if all other sources are unreachable.
>
> In ntp-dev-4.2.7p423 - with the same config, calls are made pretty
> frequently.  The reach column 'decays' and I hear the modem fire up.  I
> cannot find any documentation to show me that something changed and my
> config is out of date to run in -dev.  Here is the relevant config:

I thought Dave Mills still has one of these setups for testing, but it
may be shut off.  He's trying to avoid code maintenance these days.

I can also see if somebody else can take this over.

Are you able to compare the ACTS driver between 4.2.6 and ntp-dev?

> I'd like to keep the -dev code running, as I'm troubleshooting a
> completely unrelated bug.  For now I have mode set to 2 (manual).  I don't
> want the phone company reliving their glory days of 30 years ago with all
> these long distance calls...

The good news is that these should be *much* less expensive now, and
will even be free for a number of calling plans.  But yes, if there's a
problem we should identify and fix it.