[ntp:questions] Cannot down load the leap file

unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Jan 2 17:57:25 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-02, David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> On 02/01/2014 04:42, Williams Catherine wrote:
>> Dear,
>>
>> I'm not sure why I cannot download the leap seconds file.  Where can be
>> used now?
>>
>>     - ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/leap-seconds.3535142400
>>     - ftp://tycho.usno.navy.mil/pub/ntp/leap-seconds.3535142400
>>
>> BR,
>> Yang Hong
>
> Catherine,
>
> These servers appear to be very unreliable, at least when accessing from
> outside the USA.  There is an alternative at:
>
>    ftp://utcnist.colorado.edu/pub/
>
> but its file:
>
>    leap-seconds.3535228800

No. That file expires Jun 29 2014 which is what you would expect for Jan
2 2014. It is not stale (at least assuming it is the same file as that
same named file on ftp://time.nist.gov/pub/leap-seconds.3535228800
..

> is from last March, and is now stale.  The other two sites haven't come
> up in spite of waiting several minutes (at 08:00 UTC, Jan 02).

I also had trouble with usno, but not with nist.

> For such an important file, I expect there are mirrors in Asia and
> Europe - it's just that I haven't found them as yet.

For anyone's interest, here are the relevant lines from that file
#	Updated through IERS Bulletin C46
#	File expires on:  28 June 2014
#
#@	3612902400