[ntp:questions] enable pps not working from ntp.conf

Wed Jan 8 05:04:41 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-07 09:55, Dennis Golden wrote:
> I have searched to find an answer to this problem with no success. I am
> using the oncore clock (127.127.30.0) and have included "enable pps" in
> ntp.conf, but I get the following in /var/log messages:
>
> line 59 column 8 syntax error, unexpected T_String
> syntax error in /etc/ntp.conf line 59, column 8
>
> I can use ntpdc to set this option with no problem.
>
> Any ideas?

enable pps is documented in the miscopt.html command summary lines:

enable [ auth | bclient | calibrate | kernel | monitor | ntp | pps | stats]
disable [ auth | bclient | calibrate | kernel | monitor | ntp | pps | stats ]

but not in the detailed option descriptions below, nor in ntpd/ntp_keyword.h,
for current stable and dev versions, hence the obscure bison/yacc error message.

enable pps is documented for 4.2.4 at
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4/miscopt.html
but is gone in 4.2.6 at
http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.6/miscopt.html
so it looks like it was dropped in the initial 4.2.6 release, but the command
summary lines still need cleaned up in miscopt.html docs for 4.2.6+.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis