[ntp:questions] better rate limiting against amplification attacks?

William Unruh unruh at invalid.ca
Thu Jan 9 02:31:38 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-09, A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:
> http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/dos-attacks-that-took-down-big-game-sites-abused-webs-time-synch-protocol/
>
> Here's a live amplification attack at work.

>> As I wrote in another post I believe the time is ripe for a sensible
>> default builtin configuration, which can then be overridden with ntp.conf.
>>
>> You suggestion in your previous message is very similar to what I
>> wanted, i.e. the default is to have a pure client using the pool.
>>
>> As soon as you start writing detailed ntp.conf options I want you to
>> have the ability to shoot yourself in the foot, if that is your wish.

But this sounds like it is shooting someone else in the foot. That is
more serious. Ie, the default is that you should have to work quite hard
to enable the system to run these amplification attacks (I assume that
this is using the control system to send control/info packets, rather
than ntp time protocol packets)