[ntp:questions] How is the NTP build tested?

romain.pontida at gmail.com romain.pontida at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 03:26:05 UTC 2014

Hello, thank you all for your answers. I fully understand that, with so much usage around the world, we can consider we have empirical evidence.
This was mostly a theoretical question and I do not want to "upset" anyone by implying I do not trust the implementation.

On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 05:23:10 UTC+8, Harlan Stenn  wrote:
> > I guess any implementation could be tested for synchronisation against
> > the reference implementation, but how do you prove that the reference
> > implementation is correct?
>

> What happens (and some view this as a bug while others view it as a
> feature) is that the development version of the reference implementation
> gets to a point where folks say "Time for a new standard", and then
> folks write the Standard based on the implementation in the code.  Then
> more folks very carefully study both the code and the proposed standard
> and reconcile any differences.  At some point the Standard goes as far
> as it can (the V3 was only a *draft* standard) and we keep working on
> the codebase.  Eventually the codebase *will* do some things differently
> than the standard, and we do expect that these differences will become
> part of the next version of the NTP Standard.

Thank you for the explanation, that is very informative.