[ntp:questions] best practice for rate management ?

Joe The Smoe news at edrusb.is-a-geek.org
Sat Jan 18 10:13:50 UTC 2014

Hello,

reading documentation of ntpd version 2.4.6 I understand that:
- default average rate is 2^3 = 8 s
- default minimum interpacket spacing is 2^1 = 2 s

while reading the documentation for version 2.4.7 I see that:
- default average rate is 2^3 = 8 s
- default minimum interpacket spacing is 2^2 = 4 s

so it seems the trend is to be less permissive with short polling clients.

[ By the way, what's the impact on clients using the "iburst"
configuration when synchronizing with server not accepting interpacket
space shorter than 4 s? ]

I just wonder whether it would not be wise when using such stricter
timers to avoid using kod feature, just rate-limiting packets:

I suspect kod feature could be used by a single server to lead
many public NTP servers in a short time to send back kod toward a given
target with much less effort when timers become even less permissive.

In other words, what's the advantage of the kod with less permissive
rate limiting in the Internet environment ?  Is kod is even a feature
to be used on hosts serving NTP over Internet?

Joe.