[ntp:questions] need option to ignore 'leap not in sync error'

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Mon Jan 20 10:05:18 UTC 2014

William Unruh wrote:
> On 2014-01-16, Maarten Wiltink <maarten at kittensandcats.net> wrote:
>> Configure the local clock as a source at high stratum on the master.
>> "server 127.127.1.0 stratum 10"
>>
>> People will now fall all over you, and me, yelling that this is
>> anathema, but you have explained to my satisfaction what you want,
>> and this is how you do it.
>
> I would not fall all over you. This seems to be precisely the case for
> which the "local" directive was designed.
> It IS inappropiate to use local as a general feature, including on pure
> clients, as is done in some config files of some distros.

But if the presence/usage of the "local" refclock on a particular node
only affects potential clients of that node, why should it hurt to use
this also on a pure "leaf" node? For the basic operation it doesn't
matter if a node serves request from some clients, or not.

> There are I believe some other options with newer version of ntp (orphan
> mode?) as well, but I do not know the details.

Yes. However, as far as I can see there are only advantages if there is
more than 1 time "master" which shall provide the time to a group of
clients while no upstream ref time is available.

On the other hand, if I remember correctly, orphan mode is more
susceptible to mis-configuration. For example, again IIRC, an orphan
node never synchronizes to an upstream server if "tos orphan 0" is in
ntp.conf.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki