[ntp:questions] need option to ignore 'leap not in sync error'

Wed Jan 22 06:07:44 UTC 2014

On 2014-01-16 00:00, Sanal, Arjun (NSN - IN/Bangalore) wrote:

> On 14/01/2014 14:58, Sanal, Arjun (NSN - IN/Bangalore) wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I understand that whenever the server sets the Leap Indicator flag to 11 [not synchronized] the default behavior of ntp client is to reject the server time stamp.
>>> Is there any configuration option for ntpd by which I can make the ntp client to trust the server even in this case?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Arjun
>
>> Arjun,
>>
>> I expect you already know this, but you could add more servers, so that
>> rejecting the bad server does not affect timekeeping.  Be sure you are
>> running version 4.2.7, and be sure to use the pool directive.
>>
>> Is trusting an obviously wrong server really a good idea?
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> David
>> Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
>
> Hi David,
> Thanks for the reply. I agree that under normal circumstances trusting a wrong server is not good. I will explain my use case a bit.
> The setup is a blade server, which has one master blade server which runs the ntp server. All other blades sync the time from this master. The master itself gets it time from a higher ntp server. The problem is when the master says that it is not suitable for synchronization, the client blades shouldn't reject it. If they, do all the blades will end up with different time.

If the downstream servers also use NTP, what about configuring
all as peers with the master as prefer peer, and its local clock
driver one stratum higher than its normal stratum (same stratum
as its clients)?

Instead of the local clock driver, you could configure all
servers with the client stratum as the orphan stratum.
Orphan mode will be disabled as soon as the prefer peer upstream
source is available and the prefer peer again becomes the source
for the downstream servers.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis