[ntp:questions] NTP request retry?

Marco Marongiu brontolinux at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 21:46:56 UTC 2014

On 01/26/2014 08:08 PM, Rob wrote:
> My hypothesis is that the ARP entry for the NTP server has timed out,
> and when ARP has to resolve an entry in some implementations the first
> packet is always lost (it is not cached pending a reply).
> When the cycle is 1024 seconds, the ARP entry has again timed out the
> next poll cycle and the issue is the same.

If you believe that it is the problem, and you own the servers you're
polling, then you may set maxpoll so that the polling interval is always
smaller then the ARP cache timeout.

Please *don't* do that if you're querying public servers: rather verify
your hypothesis and, if you're right, see if you can solve the issue
internally. If you can't, check with the public server owners if you can
have a few machines with short polling intervals, get their permissions,
then configure your internal servers and have your machines point to them.

Ciao
-- bronto