[ntp:questions] NTP request retry?

Rob nomail at example.com
Tue Jan 28 11:21:51 UTC 2014

David Taylor <david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
> On 28/01/2014 08:57, Rob wrote:
>> Brian Utterback <brian.utterback at oracle.com> wrote:
>>> Anyway, nothing every came of the discussion.
>>
>> I commented on that generic situation a while ago.
>> It seems typical for discussions about ntpd functionality.
>>
>> Suggestions are always ridiculed, the specs are perfect now,
>> the code is without bugs.
>
> Although it wouldn't help me, I can see the sense in having an option:
>
>    "2burst"  or  "wakeup"
>
> or something like that for accessing remote servers.

Maybe it should be a combined feature where you can specify
a minimum and maximum burst length.  The client will try at
least the minimum number of polls and then until it gets a
reply up to the maximum specified number.  Both clipped to 8.

It should send the next poll immediately when it gets a reply,
and after a second or so when it gets no reply.