[ntp:questions] NTP request retry?

A C agcarver+ntp at acarver.net
Tue Jan 28 19:02:55 UTC 2014

On 1/28/2014 01:01, Rob wrote:
> A C <agcarver+ntp at acarver.net> wrote:

>>> I'm still not sure if ARP is really the problem, but fixing the
>>> clients to maxpoll 6 seems to cure it.
>>> (at least the reach now sticks at 377)

>>> If both would be WiFi, I would point at the WiFi.  However, one is
>>> connected to the wired network (a switch where the server is connected
>>> as well).
>>>
>>> I can ping it as much as I like, no loss:
>>> 1571 packets transmitted, 1571 received, 0% packet loss, time 20468ms
>>> rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.702/0.845/1.168/0.090 ms
>>>
>>> But when ntpd is allowed to climb to 1024-second polls, it gets almost
>>> no replies.
>>
>> Power control on the WiFi device?  Perhaps something is causing the
>> wireless card to shift to a low power sleep mode when there's no network
>> traffic?
>
> And why does it affect the wired client as well?

Because I read your configuration as server and client being on same
network but one is wired and one is wireless.  Therefore the wireless
sleep mode would affect any communication between the wireless device
and the wired device no matter the direction.  Now if you're seeing this
behavior from each device (wired and wireless) to a third server
somewhere else then that's different and not what I understood from your
earlier descriptions.