[ntp:questions] Thoughts on KOD

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at tmsw.no
Sun Jul 6 10:38:00 UTC 2014

Rob wrote:
> Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org> wrote:
>> Discussion appreciated.
>
> I think it is best to remove KOD from ntpd.
> It does not serve a useful purpose, because precisely the kind of
> clients that you want to say goodbye to, do not support it.
>
> In real life it has either no effect at all, or it even has a negative
> effect because the client does not understand it and re-tries the
> request sooner than it would when no reply was sent at all.

I'm afraid this is exactly right:

KOD is a way to "keep honest guys honest", i.e. it only helps against
programmers/users why actually try (hard) to do the right thing.

Currently it will cause a badly configured ntpd installation (burst +
minpoll 4 + maxpoll 4) to possibly stop using any server which sends
back KOD, but only if it also uses the pool directive to actively search
out the best servers.

I don't want to think about users actively trying to generate as much
traffic as possible. :-(

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>