[ntp:questions] Thoughts on KOD

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Sun Jul 6 11:22:15 UTC 2014

On 07/06/2014 11:23 AM, Rob wrote:
> Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at computer.org> wrote:
>> I recommend providing motivation for the undesired clients to stop using
>> the server, by the server sending a regular response indicating that it
>> is not synchronised or replying in some other way that has no
>> timekeeping value to the offending client.
>
> Well, that is what KOD actually is.

Sorry, I was not clear. By a 'regular' response I mean one that has a
non-zero stratum value. I had actually forgotten that a stratum value of
zero indicates that the server is not synchronised (as it is a collision
with LI=3, which also means that).

So I guess I'm dropping my first suggestion.

The second-one stands: pick a non-zero stratum value and report an
immutable time stamp. Note that the stratum field occupies 8 bits in the
packet format, but currently only values between 0 and 15 are defined
(where we have seen that a value of 0 is not uniformly understood by
real-life clients). So the choice of stratum value should be in the
range 1-15.

I have no particular preference for the immutable time stamp value to
pick. Could be zero, could be some other "meaningful" value (such as
0xeee4baadeee4baad - twice Eek! Bad!).

Jan